In an event in China, Xiaomi has announced the company’s latest flagship smartphone – Mi 8 at a starting price tag of 2699 Yuan (US $421). The Xiaomi Mi 8 comes in Black, Light Blue, Gold, and White colours and it will go on sale in China starting from June 5th. The Xiaomi Mi 8 comes in three variants – 6GB RAM with 64GB internal storage cost 2699 Yuan, 6GB RAM with 128GB internal storage cost 2999 Yuan (US $468) and 6GB RAM with 256GB internal storage cost 3299 Yuan (US $512).
Xiaomi Mi 8 Specifications
Display, Processor, Memory, and Operating System
On the specifications front, the Xiaomi Mi 8 features 6.21-inch FHD+ Samsung AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080 x 2248 pixels, 18.7:9 aspect ratio, 88.5% screen-to-body ratio, and support for Always On Display. It is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor which is paired with Adreno 630 GPU & 6GB of LPDDR4X RAM. It runs on Android 8.1 Oreo operating system with MIUI 10 on top of it and 64GB/128GB/256GB internal storage.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Camera
On the camera side, the Xiaomi Mi 8 features 12-megapixel rear camera with Sony IMX363 sensor, 1.4µm pixel size, 4-axis optical image stabilization, Dual Pixel autofocus and a secondary 12-megapixel rear camera for AI portraits, AI scene recognition, and video detection. On the front, it features 20-megapixel selfie camera with f/2.0, 1.8µm pixel, AI portrait selfies with real-time background blur, AI Studio Light Effect, and beautify.
SIM Support, Connectivity Features, and Sensors
The Mi 8 has dual-SIM support and comes with connectivity features like 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi (dual-band, 2.4GHz, and 5.0GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, dual-band GPS (with L1/L5 signal support, said to be the world’s first phone with this feature), NFC that supports contactless payments, and USB Type-C. Other sensors on board both include an accelerometer, ambient light sensor, barometer, digital compass, gyroscope, infrared, and a proximity sensor.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Features
The Mi 8 features metal and glass design. The smartphone also has a fingerprint sensor on the back, face unlocks sensor which uses an infrared sensor, infrared lens, infrared lighting and it works even in dark by scanning 4096 facial points.
Dimensions, and Weight
The Mi 8 measures 154.90 x 74.80 x 7.60 (height x width x thickness), and weighs 175.00 grams.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Battery
The Mi 8 packs 3400mAh battery with support for Quick Charge 4+.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Quick Specs
- Display: 6.21-inch Full HD+ AMOLED display with a resolution of 2248 × 1080 pixels, 18.7:9 aspect ratio, 600 nits brightness, 60000:1 contrast ratio, DCI-P3 color gamut
- Processor: 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Processor which is paired with Adreno 630 GPU
- Memory: 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/128GB/256GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo with MIUI 9, upgradable to MIUI 10
- Rear Camera: 12MP rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, Optical zoom, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP rear camera with Samsung S5K3M3 sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 2X zoom
- Front Camera: 20MP front-facing camera with real-time AI portraits
- Face Unlock Yes, IR Face unlock
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes
- Dimensions: 154.9 × 74.8x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 175g
- Connectivity: Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- Battery: 3400mAh battery with Quick Charge 4+ fast charging