Sony has announced the Xperia Z1 Compact smartphone at CES 2014. Unlike most mini flagship variants, Xperia Z1 Compact doesn’t compromise on specs, it is almost entirely identical to the original Xperia Z1 flagship smartphone in a smaller shell. The Xperia Z1 compact features the same chipset inside, the same powerful camera and the same waterproof design as the Z1 flagship smartphone does.
The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact features a 4.3-inch IPS 1280 x 720 triluminos display with X-Reality engine and a relatively sharp 341ppi. It is powered by a 2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset with 2GB of RAM. The Xperia Z1 Compact will feature the same 20.7-megapixel camera found in the Xperia Z1. The Z1 Compact also comes with Android 4.3 straight out of the box but with the promise of Android 4.4 KitKat in the coming weeks. It packs a a 2,300mAh battery, down from the 3,000mAh battery in the larger version – Sony is confident you’ll get a similar amount of battery life overall – given the lower power requirements from that reduced amount of screen in Z1 Compact.
The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact features the same IP58 level of waterproofing and IP55 dust-resistant. It will come with 16GB internal memory and microSD card slot for expanding the storage. The smartphone comes with bright and bold color options – pink, lime, white, and black.
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Key Specifications
- Dimensions: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm
- Weight: 137g
- Display: 4.3-inch Triluminous IPS display of 720p resolution with X-Reality engine, 341ppi
- Chipset: 2.2 GHz quad-core Krait 400 Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) processor, Adreno 330 GPU
- RAM: 2GB RAM
- Camera: 20.7 MP main camera with Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, LED flash, 2MP front-facing
- Video: 1080p @ 30fps video capture with both cameras
- OS: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat in the coming weeks)
- Storage: 16GB built-in memory, Upto 64GB expandable memory via microSD card
- Connectivity: NFC, A-GPS+GLONASS, WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n/ac, microUSB 2.0 (MHL), BlueTooth 4.0 LE with APT-X
- Protection: Waterproof (IP55 and IP58), Dust-resistant (IP55)
- Battery: 2,300 mAh
- Other Features: FM Radio, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor, 3D and motion gaming with PlayStation certified
- Colors: Black, White, Pink, Lime, Yellow
You can also check the official video of Xperia Z1 Compact here.
Sony says the “compact” name is designed to represent that the phone is a compact version of the Xperia Z1 – to bring all the flagship features into a compact from factor – rather than a mini version with less powerful specs.
The Xperia Z1 Compact will be available from next month, February 2014. The pricing details is not yet Confirmed, Sony says it will be cheaper than the Z1 but more expensive than the Xperia Z.