After so many leaks, LG finally announced its new flagship smartphone G2 at an event in New York. LG G2 brings lots of improvements as well as upgrades to compete with other high-end models in markets.
Speaking about the new LG G2, Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company said,
“Our definition of innovation today is technology that truly resonates with consumers. We have always listened to and learned from consumers in pursuit of innovation. We took these insights to new heights in developing LG G2, the most exciting and ambitious mobile phone in our company’s history.”
The company has include host of software tweaks to improve the experience on the smartphone, we are listing some of these tweaks below.
- Answer Me: Automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one’s ear.
- Plug & Pop: Recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.
- Text Link: Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.
- QuickRemote: Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.
- Slide Aside: Enables easier multitasking by simply “sliding” open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.
- Guest Mode: Protects owner’s privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
The LG G2 has a major change in the design as the power button and volume rocker are on the back side. Buttons on back side give users most control since this is the place where user’s index finger are naturally located when talking on the phone. The rear key is the only physical key on the device. LG G2 has one of the slimmest bezels measuring just 2.65mm. In addition to this, LG claims that the rear buttons and thin bezel will enable users to use the phone with a single hand. Long-pressing the rear buttons launch QuickMemo and the camera app. The phone also lets you double tap the display to unlock the phone.
The company states that, the power button also acts as a quick launch button for the camera app. The LG G2 employs Graphic RAM (GRAM) technology. GRAM reduces the display’s battery use by up to 26 percent on a still frame and increases overall usage time on the device by approximately 10 percent. LG is also talking about Hi-Fi audio and it is the first smartphone to feature 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback that reproduces studio-like quality sound, far superior to a CD. The device can be used as a conventional remote besides being customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys. The processor of LG G2 supports LTE-Advanced – assuring high-speed internet access and TDMB support in Korea.
According to LG, LG G2 features a 5.2-inch full HD True IPS display, powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 chipset clocked at 2.26GHz quad-core processor, runs on Android 4.2.2, 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 16GB of internal storage. It has 13-megapixel rear camera equipped with Optical Stabilizer (OIS) technology for superior low light images and 2.1-megapixel front facing camera. It packs 3,000mAh battery which uses a step design to reduce dead spaces and denser battery to give the maximum capacity.
According to LG, G2 will be available in 16GB and 32GB variants and comes in Black and White colors. LG G2 will be released globally via over 130 wireless carriers in the next eight weeks starting in South Korea followed by North America, Europe and other key markets. LG has also revealed that G2 will be available via all four major telecom operators in the United States.
LG G2 Specifications
- 5.2-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD IPS display at 423 ppi
- 2.26 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) processor with 480 MHz Adreno 330 GPU
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Dimensions – 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm, weight: 140g
- 13MP rear camera with LED Flash, OIS, 1080p video recording at 30 fps
- 2.1 MP front-facing camera
- 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz RAM, 16GB / 32GB of internal memory
- 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+ 42Mbps, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP, GPS / aGPS
- 3000 mAh battery
- Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
- Available in Black and White colors