Intel has introduced Android-based Education Tablet and it is specifically aimed at students and schools. The tablets are designed to enable interactive, collaborative learning to prepare students for success in school and beyond. These reference designs align with the Intel Education platform, which assists teachers and students in technology-enhanced learning. It is a part of Intel Education Solutions which has Intel Education Software that includes tools for 21st century learning, communication, collaboration, problem solving, critical thinking and literary skills. This tablet is rugged, which can withstand 70 cm drop, has IP52 rating for dust and water resistance.
According to a press release, John Galvin, Vice President of Intel’s Sales and Marketing Group and general manager of Intel Education said,
“Intel remains committed to helping teachers and students achieve better results through the development of complete solutions that span the hardware, software and digital content required for a 21st century learning experience. The tablet we are introducing is one additional step in a 10 year journey.”
The Intel Education tablet with a 10-inch screen has an Intel® Atom™ processor Z2460, an Android 4.0 operating system, more than 6.5 hours of battery life, and weighs 1.5 lbs.It comes with McAfee Mobile Security and screens have been designed with shock-absorbers so they are cushioned in case of a fall.
The tablet comes with a range of useful educational accessories including,
- Active stylus
- Snap-on magnification lens
- Plug-in thermal (temperature sensor) probe for experiments that plugs into the tablet’s audio jack
Intel Education Tablet (ECS-TR10CD1) specifications
- Display: 10.1-inch (1280 x 800 pixels) IPS LCD 5-point multi-touch display
- Operating System: Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Processor: 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Atom Z2520 processor
- Camera: 5MP rear camera, 1.26MP front-facing camera
- Storage: 1GB LPDDR2 RAM, 8/16/32GB internal storage, micro SD card slot
- Other Features: 3G (Optional ), WiFi a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, NFC (Optional), Micro HDMI, GPS (Optional), 70cm drop-resistance, IPS2 for dust and water-resistance
- Battery: Up to 12 hours of battery life